Work Place:-Addis Abeba
Job Type:-Full Time
Salary:-As per OXFAM in Ethiopia salary scale
Internal Job Grade
Fixed Term, 12 Months Contract
Program Manager, DD (25%) and Matrix managed by Project Management Unit (PMU) Team Leader (75%)
Staff reporting to this post
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty
Following UNICEF 2017 study on the rural water management in Ethiopia, a model for an innovative approach was developed for managing large multi-village schemes, moving away from purely voluntary WASHCOs towards a semi-professional rural water supply service providing entity (independent one), referred as Rural Water Supply Utility.
In line with this, Oxfam in partnership with UNICEF has designed project on improving management of rural water supply systems and access to sanitation facilities for the IDPS and community, with objectives improving the functionality of water supply schemes and access to sanitation facility in Somali region.
As part of this project Oxfam and the Somali region water bureau will establish an independent Rural Water Supply Utility, in Shinele city of the Siti zone, Somali region, which will provide water for the rural community, maintain the system, as well as setting and collecting tariffs to cover costs.
The project management unit (PMU) team will lead and ensure the rolling out and effective implementation of the rural water supply utility operation and maintenance model and also the promotion of hygiene and sanitation work of UNICEF funded project in the Somali region.
The Rural Water Supply Utility Electro Mechanical Officer is expected to provide technical support to the PMU team and the Rural Water Supply Utility in the assessment and documentation of the multi village water schemes mechanical and electromechanical and other water distribution facilities; development of operation and maintenance manuals; capacity building of the Rural Water Supply Utility technicians; and taking part in different studies in relation to the Rural Water Supply Utility formation, etc.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead the technical assessment and documentation of the multi village water schemes in the target Weredas in the project area.
- Evaluates mechanical and electro-mechanical component of the multi village water schemes and prepare documentation with full inventory of components, spare part, etc. in the project areas.
- Provide training for the Rural Water Supply Utility staff on operation and maintenance of multi village water schemes.
- Design the multi village regular maintenance system and schedule.
- Prepare standard rural water supply operation and maintenance manual for the rural utility (multi villages water schemes).
- Develop system for the water supply distribution, electro-mechanical and other facilities inspection mechanisms for the Rural Water Supply Utility in the project area.
- Develop supervising, maintenance and repairing system for the rural water supply utility.
- Participate in the designing of user’s compliance mechanisms on the quality of service provision.
- Develop spare part pool formation and dispatching system.
- Develop operation and maintenance budget system.
- Participate in tariff setting and other studies in relation to formation of new rural water supply utility formation.
- Participate in rolling out of the model for the rural water supply utility.
- Design system for regular checking on the electro-technical function of all system for the rural water supply utility.
- Design rural water supply service expansion plan.
- Develop service payment estimation guideline and rate for each service type for the utility.
- Responsible to prepare cost analysis of operation and maintenance against revenue generated.
- Prepare activity report of the project on operation and maintenance aspects.
- Graduate Degree from a recognised university/college in mechanical engineering or related disciplines from a recognised university with experience in water supply operation and maintenance, training and capacity building.
- Relevant experience of 5 - 7 years in rural utility operation and maintenance service provision, preferably in an international NGO out of which 2 years should be supervisory/managerial experience.
- Operation and maintenance manuals guideline development.
- Water supply tariff setting and service cost estimation.
- Assessment, analytical and planning skills, with an ability to translate analysis into recommendations for practical action, including utility organization system development.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work under difficult conditions.
- Good oral and written reporting skills (English) are essential.
- Training and mentoring counterpart development skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Ability to cope in remote rural locations and travel extensively within project areas.
How to Apply
Accounting and Finance
Admin, Secretarial and Clerical
Banking and Insurance
Business and Administration
Consultancy and Training
Development and Project Managment
Hotel and Hospitality
Human Resource and Recruitment
Media and Journalism
Sales and Marketing